Technology Governance Committee
The purpose of Roanoke County’s Technology Governance Committee is to:
- Recommend policy direction on a County-wide basis for all communications and information technology, including voice and data communications;
- Review communications, information technology and third party tools (i.e. cloud computing, etc.) and recommend direction and priorities to County Administration consistent with the mission, goals and objectives established for the County; and
- Obtain broad organizational support for information systems efforts through consensus decision-making.
The Technology Governance Committee is comprised of representatives of Communications and Information Technology, County Administration, Finance, Management & Budget, and seven members appointed by the County Administrator from Roanoke County’s operational departments and Constitutional Offices.
The Technology Governance Committee is a consensus decision-making group decision that seeks the consent of all participant, with equal input into the process. The goal of the Technology Governance Committee is to seek agreement from everyone in the group on the best possible technology solutions for Roanoke County as an organization.
Duties of the Technology Governance Committee
- Develop, implement and maintain long range plan on the investment in and allocation of communication and information technology resources.
- Participation in the development, implementation and maintenance of long range communications and information technology plans, including goals and objectives supportive of the County's strategic and operational plans.
- Recommend County-wide policy and procedures regarding the use of all communications and information technology, including voice/data communications, PCs, smart phones, tablet computers, and server based computer systems.
- Review application systems and other information technology needs as presented by the Department of Communications & Information Technology and recommend priorities.
- Review annual departmental Communications & Information Technology plans, including project schedules, costs and required resources.
- Recommend appropriate levels of communications and information technology resources based upon the Committee's knowledge of the County's communication and technology needs, goals and objectives.
- Review project progress and at specific points recommend whether projects should be continued or abandoned.
- Promote and provide education regarding communications and information technology for the County organization.
- Has the authority to create sub-committees and/or teams in order to fulfill the mission of the Technology Governance Committee.
For more information about this committee, download the Technology Governance Committee Charter (PDF).