Congratulations! You received a job offer. Please print the "Are you prepared for your new employee orientation (PDF)?" Checklist to guide you through the new hire process before reviewing the information below.
Important: Before your first day please review all information on this page. Please open and complete the New Hire Form below. Print one sided copies and bring all documents with you on your first day of employment. In addition, please review the Child Protective Services (CPS) section below to see if you are required to complete a CPS Background Check form.
The forms located here work best using a Windows computer with Internet Explorer and an Adobe PDF reader. iPhone/iPad and Android phones may not have the software to open and complete the forms and we cannot guarantee that they would work. If you need access to a computer as we suggested, we recommend you visit your local County of Roanoke Library. They have computers that have the ability to fill in the standard New Hire Forms. If you are having issues printing the New Hire Forms, you will have an opportunity to complete them on the first day of employment with your manager.
Please do not sign your documents until you attend the Benefits Orientation.
Child Protective Services (CPS) Background Checks
Child Protective Services Requirements
A Child Protective Services Background Check is required for employment if you receive a job with the following departments :
- Clerk of Circuit Court
- Commonwealth’s Attorney
- Court Services
- General Services (Custodian)
- Parks, Recreation and Tourism
- Social Services
If this form applies to you, please review the CPS Form Instructions tab before completing the document located at the bottom of the instructions tab.
Important Instructions for the Child Protective Services form:
- Please do not sign this document until you attend the Benefits Orientation.
- This document must be printed on one page (2 sided, front and back).
- Complete part 1 only.
- Reflect information in every field.
- Reflect "N/A" if a field does not apply to you.
- Reflect your address for at least the last 10 years.
- Reflect a "?" if you do not know the answer to a field.
- Answer all questions completely and accurately by printing clearly in black ink or typing your answers. Failure to complete or print clearly may delay or deny your request. Given the nature of the form and the actions to be taken when received, the Office of Background Investigations shall not accept forms that have been altered in any fashion. Forms that contain correction tape or white-out will be returned.
- If a middle name is an initial, indicate "initial only" otherwise, enter a full middle name given at birth.
- For "other names used" list all previous names; nicknames, all previous married names, legal name changes, changes due to adoption, etc. Circle appropriate title description on the form.
- If additional space is needed to complete the form (i.e. providing information on addresses, spouses, and children) attach an 8 inch by 11-inch sheet of paper along with your form.
Other Required Documentation
List of All Documents You Will Need to Bring with You on Your First Day of Employment
- Dates of birth for dependents, for benefits enrollment.
- ID for I-9 Purposes (See I-9 Form for List of Acceptable Documents)
- Secondary insurance coverage policy information. You will need:
- The Insurance Carrier name, address, phone number, policy effective dates (beginning and ending)
- The Policy/ID number
- Social Security Card
- A Voided Check: Required for mandatory payroll direct deposit.
Additional Requirements for enrollment in County of Roanoke Insurance plans:
Proof of Marital Status
- First Page of the Federal Tax Return (You Can Black out Financial Information)
- Marriage Certificate State Issuing Driver's License
Proof of Dependent Eligibility - Child
- Adoption Paperwork
- Birth Certificate
- Court Order
- Custody Agreement: Must include a statement of responsibility for health coverage.
- Divorce Decree: Must include a statement of responsibility for health coverage.
- Hospital Birth Record
- Qualified Medical Child Support Order: Must include a statement of responsibility for health coverage.
Proof of Dependent Eligibility - Step Child
- A copy of the birth certificate reflecting the name of the natural parent
- Proof that the policyholder (employee) and the natural parent are married (acceptable documentation is reflected above).
Dependent Social Security Numbers for Health Insurance
If you are enrolling in Roanoke County's health insurance plan, you will need to provide the Social Security number for yourself and any eligible dependents you enroll. This information is required under the Affordable Care Act ("ACA"). Employers are required to report information to the IRS about individuals who are enrolled in the employer's health plan.
How to obtain Social Security Card Copies or new Dependent SSN’s:
Social Security Card Copy
If you do not have a Social Security Card, you must apply for one at the Social Security Administration office, 612 S Jefferson Street Roanoke Virginia. You may call 800-772-1213.
How Do I Obtain a Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for My Dependent if He or She Does Not Have One?
- To obtain a Social Security number, you will need to complete Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card. For more information, please visit the Social Security website.
- To obtain an ITIN, you must complete IRS Form W-7, IRS Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). For more information, please visit the IRS website. An ITIN is a tax processing number only available to certain nonresident and resident aliens, their spouses, and dependents who cannot get a Social Security number. lt is a nine-digit number, beginning with the number "9" and formatted like a Social Security number (xxx-xx-xxxx)