Modified County Services
Roanoke County Offices Closed to the Public
Effective Monday, March 23, 2020
Beginning Monday, March 23, all Roanoke County buildings will be closed to the public. All business will be done by phone, email or online. If necessary, in-person services will be by appointment only.
- The Department of Social Services will continue to offer limited services through their drive- thru window.
- The Roanoke County Courthouse will remain open with limited access. Please call ahead to inquire about services needed.
- An end date has not been established for these changes, but we plan to return to regular operation as soon as conditions allow.
- Administration (540) 772-2004
- Board of Supervisors (540) 772-2005
- County Attorney (540) 772-2007
- Economic Development (540) 777-2069
- Finance/Budget (540) 772-2020
- Human Resources (540) 772-2018
- Purchasing (540) 772-2061
- Real Estate Valuation (540) 772-2035
- Roanoke County Courts
- Circuit Court (540) 387-6205
- General District Court (540) 387-6168
- Juvenile & Domestic Court (540) 387-6165
Select the list of departments below for additional information specific about each department’s operations:
Building Safety and Permits
To inquire about building permits, plan reviews, submitting development plans, or building inspections we provide the following options:
- You may contact us by calling (540) 772-2065 X1 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Information is available online, visit www.roanokecountyva.gov/302/Development-Services.
Clerk of Circuit Court
Effective Tuesday, March 24, 2020, and until further notice, due to the rapid spread of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Roanoke County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office will be handling all functions only by appointment and/or based on legal need during our regular weekday hours of 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM.
- For more information, see the Clerk of Circuit Court’s COVID-19 Updates web page
- Call the Clerk of Circuit Court’s Office for additional information at (540) 387-6205.
- Direct telephone numbers to Clerk of Circuit Court services...
- Chancery (540) 387-6212
- Criminal (540) 387-6213
- Jury Duty (540) 387-6261
- Law / Probate / Guardian / Conservator (540) 387-6206
- Real Estate (540) 387-6208 or (540) 387-6211
Commissioner of the Revenue
To inquire about business license, personal property, business personal property, real estate tax relief for the elderly or disabled/veterans, real estate transfer information, state income tax assistance, excise taxes such as meals tax, transient, admissions, utility, we provide the following options:
- You may contact us by calling (540) 772-2046 or emailing email@example.com.
- Information is available online, visit www.roanokecountyva.gov/24/Commissioner-of-the-Revenue.
A brown dropbox is also located in the front parking lot to drop off payments and or information and forms.
The Commonwealth’s Attorney is restricting public access to the office by appointment only. Appointments may be scheduled by calling (540) 387-6174.
Roanoke County Office of Voter Registration & Elections is currently operating out of the Craig Center, located at 900 Chestnut Street in Vinton. The building is closed to citizens, but the Office is offering curbside absentee in-person voting services for voters eligible to participate in the May 5th Town of Vinton Election. Contact our office at (540) 772-7500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Information about the May 5 Mayoral and Town Council Election in the Town of Vinton:
- Download the absentee ballot application for the upcoming May 5 Town election.
- All voters registered in the Town of Vinton are encouraged to request an absentee ballot List “Reason Code 2A in Box 3.
- Curbside absentee in-person voting services for voters eligible to participate in the May 5th Town of Vinton Election is available at the Craig Center, 900 Chestnut Street in Vinton. Voters must call us at (540) 772-7500 to let us know when they are in front of the building.
- Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Requests for the May, June, and November elections can be submitted online via the Department of Elections’ Voter Information Portal.
- Anyone requesting an absentee ballot due to COVID-19 should list either reason code 2A on a paper/hard copy application or select "My disability or illness" as their reason via the online application.
- Register to vote by completing a Voter Registration Application
- Absentee Ballot Requests or Voter Registration forms may be sent to our office via email to email@example.com, or by mail to: Roanoke County Elections, P.O. Box 20884, Roanoke, VA 24018.
Parks, Recreation and Tourism
To inquire about Parks, Recreation and Tourism, we provide the following options:
- You may contact us by calling (540) 387-6078, ext 0, Mon-Fri, 8:00am to 5:00pm.
- Information is available online, visit www.roanokecountyparks.com.
- You also can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Planning and Zoning
To inquire about land use or zoning matters we provide the following options:
- You may contact us by calling (540) 772-2068 or emailing email@example.com.
- Information is available online, visit www.roanokecountyva.gov/planning.
To inquire about Library Services, we provide the following information:
- All libraries are closed. The book drops are unavailable and drive-thrus are closed for book returns.
- Patrons can call with questions at (540) 777-8781, 10am-6pm, Mon-Fri. Messages will be returned in the order received.
- We have increased our electronic resources, including books on Overdrive and cloudLibrary, and online databases. Patrons can sign up for an eLibrary Card on our website to gain access to our Virtual Library 24/7.
Visit www.roanokecountyva.gov/1970/Library for details and additional information.
Real Estate Assessment / Board of Equalization Hearing for April 30 Canceled
The April 30, 2020 Board of Equalization hearing has been canceled. Applicants for this hearing date will be automatically rescheduled for the next hearing date scheduled for July 30, 2020. For more information, call (540) 772-2035.
Sheriff’s Office / Roanoke County-Salem Jail
All outreach programs have been canceled until April 26, including gun safety classes, weekend trash pickup, and self-defense classes. Workforce programs will continue with Parks and Recreation outside venues only and also continue at the Regional Center for Animal Care and Protection (RCACP).
In addition, the Sheriff’s Office informs the public of other changes to services from the Sheriff’s Office and at the Roanoke County / Salem Jail:
- The lobby of the Roanoke County / Salem Jail will remain open to access the magistrate’s office only, but closed for all other services.
- Visits can be made online through ICS and off-site phone services are not impacted. Questions regarding phones or visits can be directed to Sgt. States at (540) 283-3131.
- Video visitation from the jail lobby to inmates at the Western Virginia Regional Jail has been stopped.
- Deposits to inmate accounts can be made online or through the mail. Anyone with questions about inmate accounts can contact Deputy Arrington at (540) 283-3128.
- Fingerprinting services for non-criminal matters have been stopped until April 26. Persons needing fingerprints taken may contact the Virginia State Police to inquire if they are still providing this service.
For more information, contact the Sheriff’s Office at (540) 283-3102.
To inquire about Social Services, we provide the following options:
- The lobby is closed to the public. The drive-thru in the back of the building is available. We are located at 220 E. Main Street, Salem, VA 24153.
- If you need to apply for benefits you can pick up an application in the drive-thru, apply online at www.Commonhelp.Virginia.Gov or by phone at 1-855-635-4370.
- To drop off verifications, please utilize the drop box in the rear of the building.
You may contact us by calling (540) 387-6087 or fax at (540) 387-6210.
To inquire about Real Estate and Personal Property tax payments, delinquent taxes, DMV withholdings, claims against your State income tax, and Animal License, we are providing these current options:
- The Treasurer’s Office is closed to the public.
- You may contact us by calling (540) 772-2056 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Payments may be made at the dropbox in the front parking lot, online via credit cards, eCheck, or U.S. postal service.
- In-person, non-credit card payments, are accepted at the South County Library drive-thru window at 6303 Merriman Road, Roanoke, VA 24018, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM.
- Information is available online at www.roanokecountyva.gov/92/Treasurers-Office.
Payments may be made at the dropbox in the front parking lot, online via credit cards, eCheck, or U.S. postal service.