Check to see if your address is within the CORTRAN service area.
(opens in new window)
CORTRAN is administered by the County of Roanoke and partners with Via to provide a ride share program with a limited amount of rides available Monday through Friday.
CORTRAN is available to preapproved, eligible County of Roanoke residents who are either at least 70 years old, or who have a disability, and need transportation to and from destinations within the County of Roanoke, Town of Vinton, City of Salem, and City of Roanoke.
- Each one-way trip costs $5.00, paid in advance using ride credits.
- Service provided is curb-to-curb.
- Service provided is origin to destination.
- The driver will provide limited assistance to board and exit the vehicle.
- CORTRAN is NOT an emergency transportation service.
CORTRAN service is offered Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
No service is offered on Saturday or Sunday or on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, July Fourth, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Thanksgiving Friday, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
The holiday schedule is subject to change on an annual basis. Please verify the current holiday schedule with Roanoke County.
For questions regarding eligibility or to receive a paper application please call (540) 776-7271 or email CORTRAN.
All questions regarding scheduling, canceling or the status of a trip should be directed to Via at 1(855) 984-2328.
- Changes for 2022
- How to Apply
- Scheduling Rides
- Additional Information
- CORTRAN Documents
- ADA and Title VI
Changes for 2022
- The current Via fleet now includes two new Toyota Sienna Long Cut Vans to allow for greater flexibility for larger mobility devices and capacity.
- Roanoke County has added the capability to verify eligibility for individuals on the CORTRAN website through an Address Checker and map.
- Via has introduced advanced capability to schedule rides through website bookings in addition to phone and CORTRAN App scheduling options for riders. To schedule online visit: CORTRAN.app.ridewithvia.com
- Roanoke County will add a search tool provided by the Department of Rail and Public Transportation (DRPT) for individuals to search for different options for transportation in the Roanoke Valley area.
- Roanoke County is excited to share an informational video below about the CORTRAN Program produced by RVTV.
How to Apply
Complete an Application
To apply for the CORTRAN program, please download and complete the application in English or Spanish. Please allow up to five business days after receipt of a complete application with documentation for processing. Applications will not be processed without current documentation being provided.
Age and Address Verification
In order to qualify for this program, please provide a copy of the following documents for verification purposes. Applications will not be processed until this documentation is provided:
1. Documentation of Age, one of the following: Driver's license, Passport, Birth Certificate, Other government-issued ID that includes date and birth
2. Documentation of Permanent Address, which can include but is not limited to one of the following:
- Utility bill, not more than two months old, issued to the applicant (examples include gas, electric, sewer, water, cable or phone bill)
- Receipt for personal property taxes or real estate taxes paid within the last year
- Current automobile, home, or life insurance bill
- Voter registration card
- Driver’s license, learner’s permit, or DMV-issued photo ID
- Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, or rental/ lease agreement
Once approved or denied for CORTRAN services, you will receive a letter. If approved, you will receive a Client ID number. This number is to be used when making your reservation with Via or purchasing ride credits with the Roanoke County Treasurer’s Office. The Treasurer's Office accepts cash and checks only.
There are three ways for approved riders to book rides:
- Download and log in to the CORTRAN mobile app from the App Store or Google Play store;
- Visit CORTRAN.app.ridewithvia.com and book online via the web;
- Rides must be scheduled by 3 p.m. the day prior to the trip.
- Rides must be canceled by 4 p.m. the day prior to the trip.
- This is a ride share program with a limited amount of rides Monday through Friday. There is a chance the time you request may not be available. Rides will be booked on a first come, first served basis. If your ride cannot be confirmed at the time of booking, you will be placed on a wait list and called by 6 p.m. the day before your requested ride day, if the ride can be scheduled for pick up. If you do not receive a call or text, your ride is not confirmed.
- Riders will be given a booking window as to when Via will arrive to pick you up. This could be 15 minutes before or 15 minutes after the designated time requested. Please be ready at the beginning of your booking window.
- Via Welcome Packet
Roanoke County has partnered with Via to provide safe, easy, affordable rides to eligible County residents.
- Ride Booking: You may book online, use the CORTRAN mobile app or call Via at 1(855) 984-2328 to book, cancel and track your rides.
- Vehicles: Toyota Sienna wheelchair-accessible vehicles are used with rear ramp loading.
- Ride-Sharing: Rides may be shared by up to three passengers.
- Payment: Payment is not accepted onboard but you can add ride credits to your account by:
- Using the CORTRAN app to link a credit/debit card or a pre-paid debit card;
- Contacting the Roanoke County Treasurer's Office to pay by cash or check; or
- Call Via at 1(855) 984-2328 to add ride credits.
- Once purchased, ride credits cannot be redeemed for cash and are not transferable. There is no credit given for rider dissatisfaction. Ride credits are non refundable.
- Safety Measures: Plastic partitions have been installed in the dedicated fleet of vehicles, the frequency of cleanings has been increased and the number of passengers allowed on board is capped in accordance with social distancing guidelines.
- Cancellation/No-Shows/Payment Issues: If you cancel after 4 p.m. of the day prior to your scheduled trip, fail to show up for your ride, or fail to provide a valid payment method more than three times in one billing cycle, your eligibility to ride will be suspended. Please see the No Show Policy and Failed Payment Policy for additional information.