Roanoke County appreciates your patience with the implementation of temporary changes to County operations and services.
We strongly encourage the public to utilize the contact information listed below, and to not visit our buildings. This is effective Wednesday, March 18, 2020.
Departments will make every attempt to provide services over the phone or via email.
>> See complete information on our Modified County Service web page.
Please refer to the contact information below:
- Administration (540) 772-2004
- Board of Supervisors (540) 772-2005
- County Attorney (540) 772-2007
- Economic Development (540) 777-2069
- Finance/Budget (540) 772-2020
- Human Resources (540) 772-2018
- Purchasing (540) 772-2061
- Real Estate Valuation (540) 772-2035
See additional information for specific departments below:
Building Safety & Permits
To inquire about building permits, plan reviews, submitting development plans, or building inspections we provide the following options:
Planning and Zoning
To inquire about land use or zoning matters we provide the following options:
To inquire about Real Estate and Personal Property tax payments, delinquent taxes, DMV withholdings, claims against your State income tax, and Animal License, we are providing these current options:
Payments may be made at the dropbox in the front parking lot, online via credit cards, eCheck, or U.S. postal service.
Commissioner of the Revenue
To inquire about business license, personal property, business personal property, real estate tax relief for the elderly or disabled/veterans, real estate transfer information, state income tax assistance, excise taxes such as meals tax, transient, admissions, utility, we provide the following options:
A brown dropbox is also located in the front parking lot to drop off payments and or information and forms.
Information about the May 5 Mayoral and Town Council Election in the Town of Vinton:
- All voters registered in the Town of Vinton are encouraged to request an absentee ballot (http://bit.ly/2HOaaQv). List “Reason Code 2A in Box 3.
- Submit the absentee ballot requests via email to email@example.com, fax to (540) 772-2115, or mail to Roanoke County Elections, P.O. Box 20884, Roanoke, VA 24018.
People can also submit absentee ballot requests online at https://www.elections.virginia.gov/citizen-portal/.
To inquire about Social Services, we provide the following options:
- The lobby is closed to the public. The drive-thru in the back of the building is available. We are located at 220 E. Main Street, Salem, VA 24153.
- If you need to apply for benefits you can pick up an application in the drive-thru, apply online at www.Commonhelp.Virginia.Gov or by phone at 1-855-635-4370.
- To drop off verifications, please utilize the drop box in the rear of the building.
- You may contact us by calling (540) 387-6087 or fax at (540) 387-6210.
Parks, Recreation and Tourism
To inquire about Parks, Recreation and Tourism, we provide the following options:
To inquire about Library Services, we provide the following information:
- All libraries are closed. The book drops are unavailable and drive-thrus are closed.
- Patrons can call with questions at (540) 777-8781, 10am-6pm, Mon-Fri. Messages will be returned in the order received.
- We have increased our electronic resources, including books on Overdrive and cloudLibrary, and online databases. Patrons can sign up for an eLibrary Card on our website to gain access to our Virtual Library 24/7.
Visit www.roanokecountyva.gov/1970/Library for details and additional information.
For the latest information, visit Roanoke County’s Coronavirus Update page.