Resources & Information
In a historic first, health care and broadcast entities across western Virginia are teaming up under a shared goal: flattening the COVID-19 curve. Read on...
County leaders hosted a press conference at 1:00 pm on April 2 to update the community on the latest local developments as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Read on...
The April 30, 2020 Board of Equalization hearing has been canceled. Applicants for this hearing date will be automatically rescheduled for the next hearing date scheduled for July 30, 2020. Read on...
Getting Prepared / Making Plans
- Prepare an Emergency Kit (PDF)
- Emergency Preparedness Handbook (PDF)
- Pet Owners’ Guide to Emergencies (PDF)
- Make a Family Communications Plan (PDF)
- Safeguard Important Documents / Valuables (PDF)
- Document and Insure Your Property (PDF)
Warnings & Alerts
Know Your Flood Plain
View the Roanoke County Floodplain App to see a rendering of Roanoke County’s floodways. You can search by Roanoke County street address or owner name. Select the layers to see floodways, 100 year floodplain, and the 500 year floodplain.
Cleaning Up After A Disaster
Crisis Cleanup has established a toll-free 800 number for citizens needing assistance with cleaning up after the storm. Hurricane Florence Home Cleanup Hotline: 800-451-1954 to request help from voluntary agencies. Learn more at the Crisis Cleanup website.
What You Can Do to Prevent Flooding Damage
- Clear out your roof gutters.
- Remove leaves and debris from storm drain inlets or ditch lines near your property.
- Elevate all valuable items off of the ground, particularly in basements.
- Park your vehicle on higher ground
- If you have to evacuate, unplug all appliances and electronics and turn off electricity at the main electrical box before leaving.
Alternate Language Emergency Preparedness Documents
Download Emergency Preparedness Booklets provided by the Office of Refugee Resettlement translated in English, Amharic, Arabic, Burmese, Chinese, Farsi, French, Nepali, Somali, Tibetan, Tigrinya, Swahili, Kinyarwanda, Sgaw Karen, and Karenni.