Electric, Plumbing and Mechanical
Select an option below to find information about Trade Permits for new Installations or alterations to any existing Electrical, Plumbing, or Mechanical systems.
Do I Need a Permit?
If you are doing any of the following projects you will need a Trade Permit.
(This is not an all-inclusive list. If you have a question as to whether you need a permit please call 540-772-2065.)
- Sump pumps
- New and replacement HVAC equipment (A/C)
- New plumbing fixtures
- Repair and replacement of main drain lines
- Installing a lawn irrigation system, backflows
- Addition or modification of electric circuits (breaker panels, service upgrade or change, new or replacement wiring, over-current devices, panel board, entrance cables, etc.)
- Electric car charging equipment
- New and replacement gas appliances (generator, water heaters, gas furnace, etc)
Who Applies for the Permit?
- The homeowner is encouraged to have a licensed electrical, mechanical, plumbing, or gas contractor apply for the permits, however, the homeowner may do so.
- Applying for a permit is an important decision because the permit holder(s) bears the ultimate responsibility that the work will comply with the code.
- Fill out the documents needed.
- Email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring to the Roanoke County Administration Building, 2nd floor.
- A Permit Tech will work up the permit as you wait or call you when it is ready for payment if sent by email (Approximate turnaround time is 8 hours)
- Permit and receipt will be returned to the applicant by email if applied by email or handed to applicant at the counter. (Print Permit from the email)
- Post Permit at the site.
- Call for inspections.
- Verify Permit Inspections are complete and permit is closed.
Payment and Fees
Accepted payment methods:
- Check (made payable to the County of Roanoke)
- Credit card (VISA, MasterCard)
For an estimate on your Permit cost, use our FEE ESTIMATOR for Trade Permits.
All Trade Permits are also subject to a State Levy Fee of 2% and a Technology Fee of 3% also shown on the last field on the FEE ESTIMATOR.
Call 540-772-2065 when ready for inspections.
**Inspections may vary due to the type of project. Always call for an inspection before covering.**
Information needed to request an inspection:
- Application Number (Found on the Issued Permit)
- Address of the job
- AEP work order number if power is needed
Typical Inspections for Trade Permits …
Certain electrical inspections may require AEP involvement – Please call AEP at 1-800-956-4237 to obtain a work order number before calling for an inspection.
- Rough-In Electrical
- Final Electrical
- Service Change
- Electrical Underground
- Current Only
- Entrance Cable
- Temporary Pole
- Rough-In Mechanical
- Final Mechanical
- Gas line
- Rough-In Plumbing
- Final Plumbing
- Lawn Sprinkler
- Sewer line
- Plumbing groundwork
**Inspections may vary due to the type of project.
**Always call for an inspection before covering.