Residential: Demolish A Building
Select a link below to learn more about the permits, process and inspections required to demolish a building.
Do I Need A Permit?
If you are doing any of the following you will need a Residential or Commercial Building Permit …
(This is not an all-inclusive list. If you have a question as to whether you need a permit please call 540-772-2065)
- Removing a Residential Building to include accessory buildings. (Foundation may be left intact.)
- Removing a Commercial Building
Who Applies for the Permit?
- The homeowner is highly encouraged to have a licensed contractor apply for the permits, however, the homeowner may do so.
- Applying for a permit as a homeowner is an important decision because the permit holder(s) bears the ultimate responsibility that the work will comply with the code.
- Residential Application
- Owner Affidavit Complete if you are an owner, doing work to your own primary residence.
- Commercial Application
- Utility Release Forms Verifies all utilities have been cut off. Will need verification even if services were not provided.
- Asbestos Abatement Certification Needed for Commercial Properties or Residential Properties becoming Commercial Property
**If grading is required, please go to Development Review for land disturbance requirements. Land Disturbance permits may be needed.**
- Print the Utility Release Forms, fill in the top portion and send to each Utility as shown on the list. Contact numbers and emails are included for your convenience. Once all the releases are received you may apply for your permit. You may need to check with the Department Of Building Safety as some are faxed directly to the department.
- Fill out the Residential Application or Commercial Application as applicable.
- Email application and utility releases to email@example.com or bring to the Roanoke County Administration Building, 2nd floor. (Approximate turnaround time is 8 working hours when emailed).
- A Permit Tech will work up the permit while you are waiting or call you when it is ready for payment.
- Permit, Receipt, Inspection Card to Post will be returned to the applicant.
- Post Inspection Card at the site, visible from street.
- Call for Inspections.
- Verify Permit Inspections are complete and Permit is closed.
Payment and Fees
Accepted payment methods:
- Check (made out to the County of Roanoke)
- Credit card (MasterCard, Visa)
For an estimate on your Permit cost use our FEE ESTIMATOR for Alterations to Existing Structures.
All Building Permits are also subject to a State Levy Fee of 2% and a Technology Fee of 5% also shown on the last field on the FEE ESTIMATOR.
Call 540-772-2065 when ready for inspections.
Information needed to request for an Inspection…
- Application Number (Found on the Issued Permit)
- Address of the job
Typical Inspections for Demolition Permits …
- Final Building – Verifying all debris is removed and the lot is stabilized.
**Inspections may vary due to type of project