CARES Act & Other Funding Sources

Roanoke County's Department of Social Services is no longer accepting CARES Act Funding Requests at this time.

COVID-19 has affected many people around the world. For residents of Roanoke County and the Town of Vinton ONLY, funding was available to help pay for bills during 2020. Due to an increase in accepted applications, this funding is no longer available. Looking forward, CARES Act Funding may or may not be available during 2021. Please check out other funding resources below.

For bills concerning rent and mortgage assistance, please apply through TAP at this link first.

For small business owners, please check out these Resources for Businesses.

Locally, the CARES Act Funding Program is no longer available due to an exhaustion of funding. 

The CARES Act Funding Program will be able to assist with the following bills as well as other expenses:

- Unpaid Utilities
- Unpaid Car Payments
- Unpaid Child Care Expenses
- Unpaid Funeral Expenses
- Food Expenses
- Unpaid Medical Bills
- Unpaid Rent/Mortgage (not paid for by TAP)

The CARES Act Funding Program will not be able to assist with the following:

- Paying Taxes
- Student Loan Payments
- Small Business Bills applied for by Small Business Owner

Funds will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis without regard to race, national origin, disability, age, sex, religion, or political beliefs. Program funds are available for residents of Roanoke County and the Town of Vinton ONLY.

Roanoke County will pay UNPAID expenses (not reimbursements) for the types of assistance offered as well as one month forward (if the applicant is unable to pay for the expenses the next month.)

- Fax to (540) 283-6750
- Mail to 220 East Main St. Salem, VA 24153
- Drop-off to our office at 220 East Main St., Salem, VA 24153

For questions, please call the CORTRAN specialist at (540)776-7271.