Did you know that we have laptops available for you to checkout while you're visiting your favorite RCPL location? While you are at Glenvar, Hollins, South County, or Vinton be sure to swing by the front desk with your library card to check out a laptop.
Rules for In-House Laptops
Laptop Checkout Procedure
- Library patrons must use a valid library card for checking out laptops.
- Laptops are for use inside the library where it is checked out and may not be removed from the building.
- Laptops may be checked out for one hour time periods; if more time is needed, patrons may seek assistance from staff at the service desk. If there is a sufficient number of laptops so no other patron is waiting to use one, time may be extended.
- Headphones must be used for review of audio and/or video files. See staff in event you will be using laptop for videoconferencing so they may help you find a quiet space to meet.
- Laptops must be returned to the service desk.
- All files will be erased from each laptop between each use, and each time laptop is powered down.
- To avoid inadvertent powering down, patrons should remain aware of battery charge; the Library recommends using a flash drive (available for purchase at the circulation desk), and saving documents frequently.
- In order to help prevent viruses being transmitted to Library computers, do not use found or damaged flash drives.
- The public laptops are connected to the public wi-fi system; there is no expectation that the network is a secure connection for any financial or other sensitive transmissions.
- The County is not responsible for damage to any removable drive or data loss that may occur during use.
What’s available on library laptops?
- Internet browsers: Google Chrome, Edge, and Firefox
- Library databases: the Library offers over 35 databases, most popular among them, Brainfuse’s Help Now, Ancestry Library Edition, MyHeritage Library Edition, Consumer Reports, Newsbank’s America’s News and Roanoke Times Collections, The Washington Post, LinkedIn Learning, Mango Languages, Novelist Plus, Universal Class, Gale Health & Wellness, Valueline.
- Microsoft Office 2019: Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Excel, and One Note
- Roanoke Valley Libraries’ library catalog
- USB ports
- Headphone jack
- Cameras for videoconferencing
- Micro SD card slot
- Adobe Reader
Instructions for use
- Visit the circulation desk to check out a laptop.
- Circulation staff will check out the laptop to your account. The laptop may not leave the library building, and must be returned to the circulation desk at the end of use.
- The laptop requires no additional username and/or passwords to log on.
- Once you have checked out the device, you are responsible for how it is used, so do not leave laptop unattended.