- Sheriff’s Office
- Jail Division
The Roanoke County Sheriff's Office is proud of our jail and the staff who operate it. It is our philosophy to provide temporary supervised housing for persons entrusted to the Sheriff's Office's care, to meet their basic human needs, and also provide programs that will assist those persons in becoming a productive part of society upon release from our jail.
Lieutenant Colonel Steve Turner
Chief Deputy Steve Turner moved to Roanoke County in 1967. He served in the Army as a Military Policeman at Fort Bragg and in Pusan, Korea from 1973 to 1976.
His duties included assignments in confinement facilities as well as special security details. Upon his end of his term of service he received the Army Commendation Medal for his service as the non-commissioned officer in charge of the Mobile Security Section at the Provost Marshall Office in Pusan.
After leaving the service he began his career with the Roanoke County Sheriff's Office as an auxiliary Police Officer in November 1976.
Roanoke County Sheriff Team
In September of 1977 he was hired as a Deputy Sheriff for Roanoke County working through the ranks to Lieutenant assigned as a shift commander in the patrol division. At the formation of the Roanoke County Police Department in July 1990, he was transferred to serve as a shift commander within the new department. He has served in many capacities throughout the department with his last assignment as the Commander of Special Operations. After 25.5 years with the Police Department, he has transferred back to the Sheriff's Office where he was appointed as the Chief Deputy.
Cave Spring Fire Department
In addition, he has served as a volunteer fireman at the Cave Spring Fire Department from 1978 to 1983. He has been honored to serve his country and the citizens of Roanoke County in many capacities for more than 42 years. He looks forward to serving the citizens in his role as the Chief Deputy for the Roanoke County Sheriff's Office.
A longtime resident of Roanoke County, he currently resides in the Hollins area with his wife Vicki. His children Jennifer and Lindsey graduated from Northside HS with Lindsey currently attending Campbell University. All of the family are members of South View United Methodist Church.
- June 1972 Honor graduate, Andrew Lewis High School, Salem, VA.
- September 1977 -December 2015 Attended many courses of instruction in various law enforcement and management subjects. This included certification as an instructor to teach in the Police Academy. Also included were many courses in ADA, harassment, personal conduct, etc.
- June 1979 Awarded an Associate in Applied Science Degree in Administration of Justice, with honor from Virginia Western Community College, Roanoke VA. Completed courses in constitutional law, criminal law, forensic science, patrol administration, corrections, sociology, and accounting.
- Jan-April 1993 Completed the Administrative Officer's Management Program at North Carolina State University.
- September 1994 Completed the Criminal Justice Supervision Institute at Radford University.
- December 1998 Awarded Bachelor of General Studies with a concentration in Police Management from Radford University. Completed courses in organizational design, administrative law, public speaking, public administration, computer information systems, and business management.
- September 2006 Completed the New Chiefs/Deputy Chiefs Training School by the Virginia Police Chiefs Foundation.