Changing Occupancy / Use of a Building

  1. Do I Need A Permit?
  2. Who Should Apply?
  3. Documents
  4. Process
  5. Payments and Fees
  6. Typical Inspections

If you are doing any of the following you will need a Request for Change of Occupancy Permit …

(This is not an all-inclusive list. If you have a question as to whether you need a permit please call 540-772-2065)

    Changing to use from Residential to Commercial or Commercial to Residential

    Changing the occupancy use of an existing structure (Office Use to Mercantile, Mercantile to Assembly, Assembly to Education, etc.)

    Any alterations associated with the Change of Use will need an Alteration Permit (see Commercial Alterations section)