Commercial: Electric, Plumbing and Mechanical

Elec Plumbing Banner

Select an option below to find information about Trade Permits for new Installations or alterations to any existing Electrical, Plumbing, or Mechanical systems.

  1. Do I Need a Permit?
  2. Who Should Apply?
  3. Documents
  4. Process
  5. Payment and Fees
  6. Typical Inspections

Do I Need a Permit?

If you are doing any of the following projects you will need a Trade Permit. (This is not an all-inclusive list. If you have a question as to whether you need a permit please call 540-772-2065.)

  • Sump pumps
  • New or replacement HVAC equipment (A/C)
  • New or replacement plumbing fixtures
  • New, repair or replacement of main drain lines
  • Installing an irrigation system, backflows
  • New, addition or modification of electric circuits (breaker panels, service upgrade or change, new or replacement wiring, over-current devices, panel board, entrance cables, etc.)
  • Electric car charging equipment
  • New or replacement gas appliances (generator, water heaters, gas furnace, etc)