The Roanoke County Police Department’s SWAT Team consists of members from the various divisions within the agency. SWAT is an elite tactical unit, specifically trained for the highest risk operations. SWAT responds to Active Shooters, Counter-Terrorism, High-Risk Warrant Service, Hostage Situations, Armed Barricaded Subjects, VIP Protection, Special Events, and engaging Heavily Armed Suspects.
SWAT members utilize special equipment such as Robots, Drones, Trained Tactical K9s, Night Vision Equipment, Heavy Body Armor, Ballistic Shields, and Manual and Mechanical Entry Tools. SWAT members are trained in the deployment of various weapons, including multiple less-than-lethal platforms, electronic control devices, and “Bolawrap.” SWAT uses multiple vehicles in the performance of its duties, including pickup trucks, utility vehicles, an Armored Special Rescue Vehicle (SRV), and a mobile Command Post.
SWAT focuses on training, teamwork, special equipment, advanced tactics, and ingenuity to bring a peaceful resolution to the most dangerous situations. SWAT’s mission is “To Save Lives.” SWAT’s Crisis Negotiations Team (CNT) is made up of nine trained members from various areas within the department. These men and women are trained in
- Foundations of Crisis Negotiation;
- Active Listening Techniques, and their role in communicating empathy and building rapport;
- The dynamics of negotiation, including suspect demands, obstacles, deadlines, hostage survival, threats, and one-way communications;
- Suicide intervention skills for suicide and suicide-by-cop incidents;
- Managing indirect negotiations through third-party intermediaries and interpreters;
- Behavioral Assessments with common crisis situations and suspect profiles, influence, and de-escalation.