Moving Out of Town, County, or State

Moving To Another Locality In Virginia:

We will need documentation from the Commissioner of the Revenue's office, showing the month, day, and year the new locality began taxing the vehicle(s).

Moving Out Of State: 

The dates shown on the documents below will be used to prorate your personal property taxes.

  • Please provide a legible copy of your new registration card for each vehicle from the other state.
  • The registration card(s) you send must show date when first issued in the other state for you to receive the correct adjustment to your Personal Property taxes.
  • If no date is listed, you must have Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) provide documentation showing your re-title date for the other state.

Mail or fax copies to:
Mailing Address: 
Commissioner of the Revenue
P.O. Box 20409
Roanoke, VA 24018  

Office Address: 
5204 Bernard Drive
First Floor
Roanoke, VA 24018
Phone: 540-772-2046
Fax: 540-772-2015

Schedule of Proration:

See our Schedule of Proration page.