Contact: Teresa Hamilton Hall, Public Information Director
Roanoke County Police Department
Date: April 1, 2013
• Incident: Attempted Breaking & Entering and Property Damage
• Incident Date: March 31, 2013 at 01:31 a.m.
• Incident Location: 7300 block of S. Barrens Road
• Investigating Officer: Officer B. L. Robertson
• Victim Name(s): Numerous
• Suspect Name(s): 19-year-old Joey Dee Shumate of Roanoke, VA
• Arrest Information: The suspect is being held without bond. Charges include the following: Felony Attempted Breaking and Entering, Felony Possession of Burglary Tools, Felony Wearing a Mask in Public, 27 counts of Misdemeanor Property Damage, Underage Possession of Alcohol, and Drunk in Public.
• Additional Remarks:
Shortly after midnight, on Sunday, March 31, Roanoke County Police responded to the 7300 block of S. Barrens Road (Peters Creek Apts.) in reference to a breaking and entering in progress.
Upon arrival, officers set up a perimeter and a patrol K9 was called to the scene. The K9 tracked the suspect to the opposite end of the complex where he was stopped and detained. The subject was identified as 19-year-old Joey Dee Shumate and, through the course of the investigation, it was determined that Shumate attempted to enter an occupied apartment in the complex. During the investigation, it was also determined that Shumate committed numerous counts of property damage to vehicles in the complex.
Shumate is currently being held in the Roanoke County/Salem Jail without bond. Anyone with further information in reference to this case is asked to contact Officer B. L. Robertson at (540) 562-3265.