A volunteer firefighter was injured during the fire and transported to a local hospital. A second volunteer firefighter injury was reported after the fire was under control during clean up. Both firefighters were seen at a local hospital and have been released and are doing well.
Special thanks to the neighbors who brought coolers with ice cold water for the fire crews. It was appreciated more than they will ever know.
The family was in the process of moving to a new home.
June 12, 2016 (ROANOKE COUNTY)—This is what we know at this point about a fire in South Roanoke County:
• Location: 5600 block of Green Meadow Road
• Dispatch Time: 4:49 pm
• Units Sent: Cave Spring, Back Creek, Clearbrook, and Fort Lewis stations
• Initial calls to 9-1-1 reported flames coming out of the attic and the back of the house.
• Gusty winds fueled the flames
• Another caller advised entire back of house engulfed in flames
• Fire crews had flames under control by 5:55pm.
• No one home at time of fire, no pets
• One volunteer firefighter transported to local hospital for non-life-threatening injuries
• Neighbors are supporting the effort by providing ice water for firefighters.
• Brian Clingenpeel in on scene. If you go to the scene, please look or ask for him for a set-up location.
I will send follow up later.