Public Notice: Public Comment Period about Revised Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Action Plans
In accordance with the new Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Permit issued by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, effective November 1, 2018 - October 31, 2023, the County must update its existing TMDL Action Plans by May 1, 2020. The County has three such plans, aimed at reducing the following pollutants of concern:
- Bacteria (E.coli)
- Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
In addition to revising the plans, the County must allow at least fifteen days for the public to comment on them before they are submitted to DEQ.
These plans are posted on the County’s website for public review and comment and may be accessed by clicking the following link:
Most of the proposed strategies in these plans are ongoing activities that have been implemented over several previous permitting cycles. Overall, the proposed strategies are believed to be the most cost-effective options for the County.
The following schedule will be adhered to:
- April 3, 2020 Post draft TMDL Action Plans on County website and social media platforms
- April 24, 2020 Close Public Comment Period
- April 30, 2020 Finalize TMDL Action Plans (and communicate with Administration and the Board if significant revisions are made to the plans)
- May 1, 2020 Submit TMDL Action Plans to DEQ
Public comments about Roanoke County’s TMDL Action Plans may be sent to: CLINKENHOKER@roanokecountyva.gov.