The Blue Ridge Parkway is closed from US 220 to Route 24 due to mudslides from recent rain. Explore Park is currently inaccessible from the parkway. Please use the service entrance located at 3900 Rutrough Road to access the park. The duration of this closure is unknown, but expected through at least May 28.
Directions From Downtown Roanoke - Avoiding Blue Ridge Parkway
- Off of I-581 North take exit 6, turn left onto Elm Avenue, to third stop light.
- Turn right on 13th Street (changes to Bennington Ave. along the river)
- Follow to the round about at the intersection with Riverland Road (Route 116) circling clockwise all the way around the intersection to head eastbound.
- Immediately take next left turn onto Rutrough Road (Route 658)
- Continue 4.5 miles to the Explore Park Service Entrance on your left just past the little brick church.
On a phone or GPS navigation system: List your destination as 3900 Rutrough Road SE. Roanoke, VA 24014