Even more people are doing their holiday shopping online this year which means deliveries left on doorsteps are easy targets for criminals. Criminals are also out looking for unlocked vehicles to take any valuables left inside.
The Roanoke County Police Department is offering some tips on how to prevent package theft from your doorstep.
• Have packages delivered to work.
• Have packages delivered to the home of a relative, friend or neighbor that you know will be home.
• Have your packages held at the post office for pickup.
• Include instructions for carriers to place packages in an area out of plain view.
• Require a signature on delivery.
• Utilize the “ship to store” option many stores offer.
Over the last two weeks, approximately 18 car break-ins occurred at multiple apartment complexes in the County. All of the vehicles were unlocked with keys, wallets, cash, an iPod, ammo, and firearms stolen. Here are a few reminders:
• Lock It, Hide It, Keep It! Remove all of your valuables and lock your vehicle. Yes, even in your driveway.
• The most dangerous and a common item left in vehicles is a firearm. They should always be secured inside the home.
• If shopping in-person, be aware of your surroundings while walking to your car. Have keys ready before going to your car, and keep purses and wallets close to you. Place all valuables in the trunk and lock it.
• See Something, Say Something! Be alert and don’t hesitate to call 9-1-1 if you see suspicious activity.