The Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) will host nine virtual meetings across the Commonwealth and is inviting the public to share feedback on transportation projects that have been recommended for funding, as well as other transportation initiatives. Members of the community may participate by attending virtual public meetings or submitting comments online, by email, or by mail. The Salem District Meeting will be held May 5th at 4pm.
The public will have an opportunity to learn and share feedback about:
- The Draft FY 2022-2027 Six-Year Improvement Program (SYIP), which allocates public funds to highway, road, bridge, rail, bicycle, pedestrian, public transportation, and transportation demand management projects. The Draft FY 2022-2027 SYIP identifies projects proposed for inclusion in the final program, which will be before the CTB at its June meeting. All federally eligible projects in the SYIP will be included in the federally required Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) to document how Virginia will obligate its federal funds. The Draft FY 2022-2027 SYIP includes projects recommended for funding in the following programs:
- SMART SCALE, a data-driven project prioritization process that directs limited funding to the most critical transportation needs. Projects are scored considering the following factors: safety, congestion reduction, accessibility, land use, environmental quality, and economic development.
- State of Good Repair, a program that provides funding for deteriorated pavements and structurally deficient bridges owned or maintained by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and or localities.
- Innovation and Technology Transportation, a program that funds initiatives pertaining to high-tech infrastructure improvements.
- Interstate Operations and Enhancement, a program to improve the safety, reliability, and travel flow along interstate highway corridors.
- Comments will also be accepted for projects valued at more than $25 million.
The meeting will be conducted using electronic communications. There will be opportunity for public comment. When announced, public comment can be made during the Salem District meeting by calling 720-260-4991 and entering the PIN: 490-669-687# when prompted. Callers will be placed on hold until others in the queue ahead of them have had the opportunity to speak. No comments can be made by means of the livestreaming function. You may also provide written comments using online forms at the following link: ctb.virginia.gov/planning/springmeetings2021/default.asp.