(ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. - July 14, 2022) The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) reports that the new roundabout at the intersection of Route 311 and Route 419 in Roanoke County at Hanging Rock is expected to open to traffic on the afternoon of Friday, July 15. **Prior to the detour being removed, flaggers will control traffic at the intersection to install pavement markings.**
Drivers should be aware of the following tips to use a roundabout.
- Pay attention to signs and pavement markings.
- Yield to vehicles already in the circle as they approach from the left and merge when safe.
- Navigate the circle at a slow, steady pace, and do not stop once in the roundabout.
- Use turn signals correctly to not confuse other drivers.
- Be aware of the speed and position of nearby road users.
Once the new roundabout is open to traffic, motorists should continue to expect periodic nighttime lane closures and flaggers controlling traffic around the intersection. Additional paving and pavement marking will be scheduled in the months ahead. The project is expected to be completed this fall.