The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality has issued an air quality forecast for Saturday, June 30 and Sunday, July 1 for ground-level ozone concentrations in the Code Orange range.
Active children and adults, and people with respiratory diseases, such as asthma, should limit strenuous outdoor activities. When driving on interstates you may see this information posted on VDOT signs. This condition may also continue into next work week.
10 Easy Steps to Help Improve Air Quality
1. Refuel vehicles and equipment before 8 AM and after 5 PM.
2. Don’t top-off the tank, avoid spills and use care with gas cans. 3. Open burning is banned in Roanoke County on Ozone Action Days.
4. Report observed open burning to the Fire Marshal. 5. Use of gasoline or diesel powered lawn and maintenance equipment is prohibited except on an emergency basis.
6. Do not use solvents, spray paint, spray cans and pesticides. 7. Do not allow vehicles to idle more than 15 seconds.
8. Do not use drive-in windows. 9. Car-pool, bike or walk to work if possible.
10. Car-pool to meetings and plan trips to reduce driving.