Registration / State Licensing

Recording a Trade Name or General Partnership

General Partnerships and trade names must be recorded with the Clerk of Circuit Court. There is a one-time $10 fee required, with a separate check made payable to Clerk of Circuit Court. For questions contact Clerk of Circuit Court at 540-387-6205 or see the web page at:

Register a Corporation or Limited Partnership

All corporations (foreign and domestic) and limited partnerships conducting business in Virginia must register with the Virginia State Corporation Commission. To become incorporated in Virginia, an organization must file trade names, DBA's, articles of incorporation and amendments with the State Corporation Commission (SCC). 

State Corporation Commission

P.O. Box 1197
Richmond, VA 23209
Phone: 804-371-9733
State Corporation Commission

State Contractors License

All contractors who bid upon or undertake single jobs of $1,000 or more must register with the State Board of Contractors.

Class A$120,000 or more
Class B$10,000 to $119,999
Class C$1,000 to $9,999

Board of Contractors
3600 West Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23230
Phone: 804-367-8511
Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation

Testing: PSI Examination Services Phone: 800-733-9267 

Alcoholic Beverage License

Roanoke Office
2943 D. Peters Creek Road
Roanoke, VA 24019
Central Office Phone: 804-213-4565
Additional Phone: 540-562-3604
Alcoholic Beverage License

Department of Health

Roanoke County/Vinton Health Department
227 S Pollard Street
Vinton, VA 24179
Phone: 540-857-7807
Department of Health

Roanoke County Health Department
1502 Williamson Road NE
Civic Mall - Second Floor
Phone: 540-204-9764 

Federal Taxes

Call 800-829-1040 or visit Federal Taxes for general tax information or questions regarding:

  • Corporate Income Tax
  • Employee Income Taxes
  • Federal Employer Identification Number
  • Federal Unemployment Tax 
  • Individual, Partnership

Virginia Taxes

  • For general tax information call 804-367-8031
  • For retail sales tax information call 804-367-8037 

You can also visit Virginia Taxes.

Worker's Compensation

Worker's Compensation Commission
1000 DMV Drive
Richmond, VA 23220
Phone: 877-664-2566
Worker's Compensation

Virginia Employment Tax

Virginia Employment Commission
5060 Valley View Boulevard
Roanoke, VA 24012
Phone: 540-561-7525
Virginia Employment Tax

Additional Information