Divorce Filing


The Clerk's office is not a forms court. We do not have forms for you to complete to file for divorce. You would need to hire an attorney or do research in the Law Library on how to file for divorce.


There is no legal separation in the Commonwealth of Virginia. You must be separated for one year if there are children and six months with no children involved.


You file for divorce in the locality in which you last resided as husband and wife, or the locality in which the defendant currently resides.


Please refer to the fee schedule for the cost. To order a Vital Record, please visit the Department of Vital Records.